Monday, May 7, 2018

The Mysterious Unitarian Cemetery

Candid Shot of Unitarian Cemetery 


A few weeks ago, on easter, I was wandering around the beautiful streets of Charleston and  happened to stumble upon the most beautiful cemetery I have yet to see; Unitarian Cemetery. At Unitarian Cemetery all the shrubs, wild flowers, and Spanish moss are overgrown surrounding the tombstones (see picture on the left).  It was almost as if I was walking into a secret garden! Unitarian Cemetery is part of Unitarian Church, which is a big, beautiful, tall, yellow church (see picture below).





Unitarian Church 



Before I get into my findings at the cemetery, I'd like to give a brief history of Unitarian Church! Unitarian Church is a large Gothic church that was built in 1854 by a religious group called the Society of Dissenters. It is actually known to be the "oldest church in the south" and was declared a national landmark in 1973.








For the Enslaved Workers



When I first walked into the Unitarian cemetery this was the first tombstone I saw because it was right in front. This tombstone was very interesting because it said, "In memory of the Enslaved Workers Who Made These Bricks And Helped Built Our Church 1774-1787" (see picture
below for a closer look). Then, on the front it looks like some type of a bird.











Closer look of the Enslaved Worker's Tombstone
Jane Mcleod and Henry Inman






This tombstone stood out to me because it first says Jane Mcleod Sept 11 1946-July 1 2015. Then, on the second line it says Henry Inman Jan 25 1942-. This means Mr. Inman is still alive but I am wondering if there two were married since their is a different last name? Interesting!














Lastly, this monument really caught my attention as well because of the size of it! On this monument it says. "Beneath This Monument Rest The Mortal Remains Of The Rev. Samuel Gilman, D.D. Who Was Born In Gloucest, Mass. Feby. 16th, 1791. And Died In Kingston, Mass. Feby. 9th 1858." Clearly, this Reverend was appreciated because of the detail put into this monument!









I recommend that you should all visit Unitarian cemetery, because like I said, it's my favorite cemetery in Charleston!



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Epic Epitaphs

For those of you who do not know what an epitaph is, an epitaph is a phrase or statement written in memory of a person who has died in scrip...